Kent Music Conference 2023: Designing Your Musical Universe
With the theme ‘Designing Your Musical Universe’ the day focuses on creating that wonderful inclusive and welcoming musical space in your setting that students gravitate towards.
Monday 20 November | 09:30 – 16:00 | Kent Event Centre, Maidstone
This will be a valuable, engaging and inspiring day for educators from across the county to come together to learn and expand their musical horizons.
“The Music Department is an alternate universe where pupils are often unrecognisable from who they are outside of it. The shy become confident. The agitated become calm. The lonely become included. The quiet become heard. And the lost become found. Music reveals the real child.” – Vaughan Fleischfresser
The full day will include:
- Workshops, speakers and interactive discussions with content for infant, primary, secondary and special schools
- Keynote speech from Vaughan Fleischfresser
- A host of other talented music education professionals including International Slam Champion and lyricist Yasmin Ali, Author of ‘Rappin’The Classroom’ Francis Winston, Composer and vocalist Emily Barden, Shivani Rattan from The Voices Foundation, ABRSM, Percussionist Mike Simpson from Inspire Works, Transformance Music’s Ben Sellers, and Square Pegs Arts amongst others.
- For the first time an offering for the 0-5 age group, Kelly Reynolds from Mini Maestros
- A full expo of music and education organisations offering advice and support
- Lunch, snacks and drinks provided throughout the day
Tickets are free for teachers from schools in Kent, and £35 for teachers from schools outside of Kent (including Medway) or independent schools. They are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis, so make sure to claim your place early!
Keynote Speaker Vaughan Fleischfresser:
Vaughan Fleischfresser is an internationally recognised music educator who has worked at every age and stage of music education from nursery through to university. He currently divides his time between being a primary music specialist, conductor of community ensembles, and an educational speaker.
Vaughan currently teaches music at the Edinburgh Academy in Scotland, having most recently been the Teaching Fellow of Music Education and the University of Edinburgh. In addition to this he works extensively with Community Music groups throughout Scotland.
Connect Vaughan on his Twitter profile.
About Vaughan’s keynote speech:
This session will explore the importance of the world we create for our students, and the impact it has on their lives while at school and beyond it. I will also seek to remind us all of the importance of what we do and why we do it. After all, there is no better job in the world than that of a Music Teacher.